Thursday, February 5, 2015

Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies

My grandma Derrick was serious when it came to all things baking.  Between her pies, cookies, and bread, there's a lot I have to learn from.  My mom just stumbled upon a stack of her recipe cards this week, which means I have some baking to do.  I LOVED grandma's oatmeal cookies, and I may have loved the process of making them even more.  Her secret trick was covering a glass with a wet handkerchief and pressing the dough flat.  This meant going and getting one of Papa's handkerchiefs and using it to press the cookies down.  One thing I like about this recipe is that the raisins are optional, so tonight I did half with and half without.  
Grandma taught me the importance of sifting flour and properly measuring flour (fluffing it before you scoop, not packing it in).  Also, greasing and flouring your pans as opposed to just greasing them makes ALL the difference.  Seriously. 
We aren't entirely sure who Aunt Jenny is (even my dad doesn't know), but this is Grandma's recipe card for her oatmeal cookies.

Tonight, there were no trips to Papa's drawer to get a handkerchief.  Instead I just wet a lightweight towel covering the glass.  


Grandma's ("Aunt Jenny") Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup crisco
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
add:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup regular sugar
Beat until fluffy.  Then add:
2 eggs, beaten
add:
2 cups oats
1/2 cup rasins (optional)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Mix 1 1/2 tsp baking soda into 3 cups sifted flour.
Add alternatively with 1/4 milk, ending with flour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Scoop 1 tsp scoops onto greased and floured baking sheet.  Cover juice glass with damp handkerchief, and press flat.  Bake 10-12 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment