Thursday, November 7, 2013

Real Talk.

These are just some fun facts about my Malaysian life:

1. Climate: It's hot, y'all.  I mean, it's November and I can tell you right now it will be in the 90's and/or raining tomorrow.  I drink at least 3 liters of water a day (Today I think was somewhere around 4.5) and still find myself feeling dehydrated.  There have been days when I've come into my room and turned on my AC and put my fan right on me so I can get under my quilt I brought (yes, I brought a quilt to a country that is only a few degrees above the equator) and pretend it is fall.
2. What I brought: Speaking of weird packing things, I felt the need to bring 8 scarves to a country that does not ever see below 85 degrees, so there's that.
3. My appearance: Those of you who knew me before I arrived in Malaysia know I have hi-lighted my hair since high school.  But before I came to Malaysia, I decided to go back to my "natural" color, which I assumed was more brown.  Surprise, people!  Sarah has blonde roots.  Also, I thought I was going to have to dress wayyy more conservatively than I do.  I bought so many long skirts and pants before coming here only to find that appropriate shorts and even some tank tops are perfectly acceptable (at least where I live, I can't speak for all of Malaysia).  The good news is that my skirts are comfortable.  The bad news, see #1.
4. Laundry: Hand washing clothes is a time commitment. It is quite theraputic, but at times I've found myself with more dirty clothes than time to wash them.  Enter: febreeze.  I'm telling you what, I went through 1 bottle in a month and its awesome.  I used to use pinterest for things like recipes, now I'm using it for DIY febreeze directions bc I use it so much.

I feel like all my blog posts thus far have ended with some sort of lesson I've learned or a nice conclusion.  But for this one, all I have to say is that I'm clearly still getting adjusted and laughing at myself for some of my preparation decisions.  Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. I read in this in your voice and I loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you are an inspiration to me. I don't think I could do what you are doing, that may have something to do with the age difference (I'm retired, that will give you an age range) You let us see through your eyes all the good you are helping to do. Keep the faith and continue making a difference. God's blessings to you. Mary Ann Eargle, Emmanuel Lutheran Church, West Columbia, SC

    ReplyDelete