Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Simply Being

Tonight I had the goal of sending out my newsletter, however my internet was being slow so I called it quits for the night.  I closed my computer and walked downstairs to find Mrs. Soong watching TV in the living room eating dinner.  I then realized that I myself had not eaten yet, so I went and poured myself the dinner of champions, cereal.  I sat next to her and watched a Malaysian romantic drama.  She would laugh, then translate for me so I was in the know, too.  Then I went into the kitchen to wash out my bowl and she followed me in and pulled out some of her leftover dinner and fixed me a plate (she is always worried I don't eat enough).  We went back out to our show and after finishing my second dinner, Mrs. Soong pulled out a bag of crackers for us to eat.  We continued watching and talking, and eating, then we both decided we were tired so we turned off the TV and as I stood up, she reminded me how my posture was not good when I arrived to her house and now it is better.  She followed this observation with a "Praise the Lord!" So we praised the Lord for better posture, talked about tomorrow's plans, and after a goodnight hug, I went upstairs.
I got to my room to find a text and missed call from my friend Carrie saying she was bringing me a bowl of soup because I've been sick.  I went downstairs to wait for Carrie and was able to talk some more with Mrs. Soong as she got ready for bed.  Carrie dropped the soup by.  I sat at the kitchen table, eating some absolutely delicious soup and was filled with comfort and peace by the love and companionship I was completely surrounded by tonight.
This is what this year is about.  It's not about newsletters (although check your inboxes soon for the first issue) or plans for what's to come or exotic experiences.  It's about being.  It's about being where you are, in relationship with others, supporting and being supported, and finding peace and joy in those little moments.

Going to sleep so thankful for tonight's simple reminder of why I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment