Saturday, October 12, 2013

No Place I'd Rather Be

I'd like us all to flash back to my first few days/weeks of my first summer at camp. I remember sitting below the dining hall during orientation and talking to some of my new friends about how I didn't really love kids, I wasn't really outdoorsy (I actually got my cartilage pierced before the summer because I thought it would make me look more outdoorsy, but that's another story for another day), and couldn't give a very sure answer of why I was there, but there was something that had drawn me to apply.  It took a few weeks and some tears, but slowly I learned that being at camp in the summers was exactly where I needed to be.  Because of my time there, I now absolutely love working with kids, I have some earthy points, I made wonderful friends, and have grown so much in my faith, just to name a few of the benefits :).  For me, camp went from being a place of discomfort and uncertainty to a place that held so many memories and experiences that there was truly no place I'd rather be.
So, fast forward to now. I'm about 3 weeks into my service in KK, and about 6 weeks into my time in Malaysia. Honestly, sometimes I wonder why I'm here. Up until YAGM, Asia as a whole wasn't really on my radar of places to go.  I've never really been more than a few hours away from home for an extended amount of time.  This is not a decision that I would say is characteristic of myself (Much like when I decided to work at camp but did not really like kids at the time).  Why or how we are lead to things sometimes really blows my mind.  Tonight I was in the Eklektos youth service at church and we started singing "No Place I'd Rather Be."  In that moment, after a week filled with a fair amount of discomfort, I was comforted by the familiarity of a song I have sung countless times at camp in the mountains of North Carolina. To be reminded of past experiences of God's faithfulness renewed my hope for the experience to come.  Everyday I see more and more of why I have been called to Malaysia, mainly in the community I have experienced so far.  And slowly, I am growing to call Malaysia the "no place I'd rather be".

No place I'd rather be
No place I'd rather be
No place I'd rather be
Than here in Your love, here in Your love

So set a fire down in my soul
That I can't contain
That I can't control
I want more of you, God
I want more of you, God

No comments:

Post a Comment