Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Celebrate!

Hello from Kota Kinabalu!
I can't believe we have been here for almost a week!  Life since we landed in Malaysia has been a whirlwind, but I'm doing my best to take everything in!  So far, we have spent time exploring KK, meeting new people, growing together as a country group, trying new food, and relaxing in the mountains.  We just got back from a couple days at Mt. Kinabalu.  It was a wonderful way to get over jet lag and get to know one another a little better.  (Not to mention, a nice break from the heat of KK)

One of the topics we have been looking at through our in-country orientation has been how we process new experiences.  We have been looking at judgements and expectations of our experience and how we can recognize those.  One of my favorite pieces of this discussion has been how to respond to a new experience.  Our country coordinator encouraged us to celebrate any new experience we have, regardless of if the outcome is good or bad.  There is a reason to celebrate the experience!  So, with that mindset in place, I have had tons of reasons to celebrate since landing in KK!  First of all, I made it to Malaysia.  Celebrate!  I have tried so many new foods, some have been the best things I've tasted and some have left something to be desired.  Still celebrating!  I successfully completed washing and hang-drying clothes on the roof of the seminary we are staying at with the added bonus of a beautiful mountain view.  Celebrate!  I learned that some of Malaysia's national pastimes include shopping and eating... seriously celebrating!  I attended a worship service in Malay.  Celebrate!  I wandered through the street market that sets up each Sunday.  Celebrate!  I hiked through the jungle in the mountains of Malaysia.  Celebrate!

So, you get the picture.  I am having so many new experiences, and am finding that the best way for me to process all that is happening is to celebrate everything!  We have 2 days back here in KK before we take off to Kuala Lumpur for our language training for 2 weeks!  Thank you so much for your love and prayers as I get acclimated to the other side of the world!  It has been a wonderful experience so far and is certainly giving me lots of reasons to celebrate!

Kota Kinabalu shore line: fishermen bring in their daily catches late afternoon to sell in the market

The view from our villa at the J. Residence in Mt. Kinabalu

The YAGM Malaysia team, ready to conquer Mt. Kinabalu!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an experience you all are having. Keep us reading and enjoying the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, keep posting about your continuing celebrations! So happy that you are adjusting so well! Can't wait to learn more about Malaysia! Praying daily for you, Sarah Bell!
    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog Sarah! So glad you are having such great experiences. Hope you are putting that camera to work! Praying for you! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete