Monday, February 25, 2013

Frickin Red Beans

Y'all.  It is 9:30 at night and I JUST ate dinner.  At 5:00 I decided I wanted red beans and rice for dinner.  I had the rice and beans, I just had to make it.  So I read the directions on the package and I had to boil the beans and let them sit for an hour.  So I did that.  Then after adding in some sauteed onion and peppers, all the instructions said was: "simmer until beans are tender".  Now, reading that wouldn't you think it would be like 10-30 minutes.  I would.  No, no.  Two and a half hours and several additional cups of water later my beans were still not tender.  I decided to go on up and take a shower because clearly this was going to be a process.  I came down from my shower and the darn beans had burned.  Yep, all that work and they were gone.  The moral of this story is that the bean company needs to out clearer instructions on packaging.  They need to give you a heads up that before you can have your meal, you have at least 3-4 hours of work ahead of you.
I'm just really bitter and thought I'd share that bitterness with the rest of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment