Tuesday, October 5, 2010

So when I said education major...

I should have said Christian education major. I change my mind once again... Surprising? It shouldn't be.
Anyway. Let's take a brief (and I do mean brief because I have chapter tonight and 2 tests tomorrow) look at all my grand ideas as far as majors go since I've been at PC...

I came to college with the same plans as I'd say about half of all freshmen have: major in biology and go to medical school. Well. That lasted until the end of last year. I'd say the straw that broke the camel's back was exam week "oh 10". I broke down during my chemistry exam and wept uncontrollably. So embarrassing looking back on it, and pretty unfortunate for those who had to witness it. I lasted longer in the program than most though, I still think I could have made it sometimes... I may have suffered from a stroke or some other stress induced condition by the end of 4 years, but I could have done it.

So this year came. I entered my second year of college completely clueless as to what I was going to do with my life, more specifically my major. So many wild ideas crossed my mind, and I dismissed most of them... all except one. I thought to myself "Hey Sarah, you like math. Be a math teacher. Better yet, you like middle schoolers, be a middle school math teacher!" So then came the detrimental step in my decision making process: as I wrote about a few posts ago, I made an appointment with the middle school education advisor. No need to retell the story, but the result: I walked out the door an education major. I woke up the next morning realizing how quickly I made that decision and moved on with my life, never turning in the papers that were placed in my hands to make the major official.

I was back to square one. But after talking with my wonderful Christian ed professor, all the things I want to do, I can do with a Christian ed degree: social work, youth work, working for a non-profit, go to nursing school (or if I ever get the urge to go to medical school again... well, we just won't go there right now.), or if I ever decide to follow my dad's and granddad's footsteps and go to seminary I could do that... the list goes on and on! So, moral of the story: this is the PERFECT major for me-the girl who changes her mind about what she's going to do multiple times a week- because I can do anything with this degree!

So while I've been given papers to make my major change official about 234 times since I've been at PC, I actually went to the registrar's office today and turned in the forms to make my decision to be a Christian education major official!! Woohooo!!

Peace and Love.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love it! Sounds perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm....did you know i was a CE major? maybe it runs in the fam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Cameron was, as well!!! Way to go, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great choice sarah!!!! you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete